Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Secret Agent Band

I subbed today for choir at a local high school. On my plan period, I was asked to step in and hold the fort for a sub who hadn't shown up yet. Room 105: Band.

"Are you our sub?"
"No, I'm the sub for your sub."
"Oh, okay. Well it's time for marching practice."
Word got around the class that it was time for marching practice, and everyone grabbed their stuff and walked out the door and down the hall. I asked a few kids to stay back and tell the sub that we were outside practicing. Having no lesson plans, I followed the kids outside about 100 yards behind the group.
We kept walking. And walking. And walking.
"Uh, where are we going?" I asked after I caught up with them about 1/2 mile down the road.
"Oh, well, some kids are going to Subway, some are going to Starbucks..."
"So... there's no marching practice?"
"Oh, no... 'marching practice' is code for free time. We usually don't get anything done when there's a sub so we leave and have lunch early."

And I thought CIA agents were the only ones talking in code.

0 comments: